This is another keeper! Tom and I really liked this dish and are looking forward to eating the leftovers (one of the big reasons I love casseroles so much). One of the good things about this casserole is that it has so much vegetable in it that you don't need to serve one with the meal. But it has about twice the number of carbs as the Beefy and Cheesy Low-Carb Green Chile Bake from the other day so we won't be having it as often.
This recipe comes from Wicked Stuff and is found at http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-dinner-ideas/low-carb-chicken-divan-casserole-recipe/ complete with pictures from each stage of the preparation.
I made a couple of changes to the original recipe—those changes are reflected below. One thing I want to try next time I make this dish is to substitute fresh spinach for the broccoli and to add mushrooms.
This dish theoretically serves 6 and takes about 1.5 hour prep and cook time.
3 boneless chicken breasts (I used 6 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken*)
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 cups chicken stock
A pinch of parsley
10 cranks of fresh pepper
1 lb bag of frozen cauliflower florets
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 lb bag of frozen broccoli florets, steamed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz bag)
*If using rotissierie chicken, skip steps 2, 3 and 9 below.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a pot about halfway with water. Add both breasts of chicken.
- Cook on high and bring to a boil until the chicken is cooked through (180 degrees)
- Meanwhile, cook up the garlic and onions in a medium frying pan on a low heat with the ghee.
- While that's cooking, blend up your cauliflower using a food processor or a good blender like a Ninja (or better). Do it for a couple seconds just until it looks like rice.
- After about two minutes of the onions cooking, begin adding in the spices one at a time, mixing them into the onions as you go.
- When the onions are soft, add the cauliflower.
- When the cauliflower is soft, add the chicken broth. Cook, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Check on your boiling chicken. Take it out and set it aside if it's reached 180 degrees.
- Add the cream and lemon juice and let simmer uncovered on low for about 10 minutes while it reduces. Mix it a few times throughout so it doesn't burn to the bottom.
- Add mayo, mix, and turn off burner.
- Begin pulling apart your chicken with a fork.
- Add half your pulled chicken into the cauliflower cream mixture.
- Use the other half to line the bottom of an 8x11 oval, 3" deep casserole dish.
- On top of the chicken, layer in the steamed, chopped broccoli.
- Top with the cauliflower cream mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Put in the oven for 30 minutes, covered with tinfoil.
- Remove tinfoil and cook 10 more minutes.